Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Ritter Sport: Cornflakes


How do you think this bar was?

Ritter Sport is a fabulous thing that everyone seems to know about but no one ever talks about. It's easier to find at bodegas and delis than at gourmet markets or chocolate stores. I got this at a deli on Clark St. in Brooklyn Heights. Here is the basic information:

Ritter Sport: Cornflakes
Cocoa content: 30%
Notable ingredient: Cornflakes
Origin: Yeah right (blend, Germany)

I suggest using a visual. I remember when I discovered Ritter Sport, I was about 10 or 11 and I was visiting France. This is really popular in Europe. And when I was living in Boston I bought a lot of them at Cardullo's in Harvard Square. I went back to France in 2006 and lived with a host family -- and the children got Ritter Sport bars in their lunches. 

This is a hefty square of thick, unprecedentedly creamy milk chocolate divided into 16 squares and stuffed with cornflakes. It is like a Crunch bar except better because the chocolate is 100 times better than Nestle and because Cornflakes are vastly more interesting than crisped rice. There is little else to say here; having known this bar was a pleasure entirely mine.

Ritter Sport takes cereal seriously, and by that I am moved. I am entering a phase of chocolate eating called Hedonism. This bar gets an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment