Saturday, December 19, 2009

Escriba: Xocolata Crik-Crak


I'm back to talk about Barcelona bar no. 2 -- I bought this mammoth of a bar at the Pasteleria Escriba on Las Ramblas, near the Boqueria Market. This place is a sweet little chocolate cafe that I learned about via the New York Times Barcelona travel guide. Full disclosure: basically all of my travels are motivated primarily by food and secondarily by the thrill of the chocolate hunt -- so no, I don't just happen upon these places. Escriba sells gigantic, moderately priced chocolate bars as well as a huge assortment of truffles, cookies, and cakes. The woman behind the counter spoke only Catalan, so I bought this bar without much information. It wasn't until I got outside the store and took a closer look at the ingredients that I learned that Crik-Crak is basically a glorified Nestle Crunch bar! Glad to have known you -- to say the very least.

Escriba: Xocolata Crik-Crak
Cocoa content: 40%
Notable ingredients: arros inflat (puffed rice)
Origin: n/a

First, I should alert you -- Pasteleria Escriba has probably the most darling website on all the internets. And actually, everything about Escriba and this bar is charming. The chocolate has its own little box with a flap-slot closure, and, as you can see, is adorned with a pretty mosaic pattern. This, and the name "crik-crak" -- the Catalan equivalent of "snap, crackle, pop", I guess -- are entirely evocative of the puffed rice sensation. This bar is much more rice-filled than the Nestle Crunch bar, for one thing. On the surface, the chocolate looks smooth, but on the underside it's bubbling with the crispy, chocolate-coated arros inflat.

And it should go without saying that this chocolate is much, much better. It contains about twice as much cocoa solid content, and tastes creamy and rich as opposed to Nestle's dry, dusty -- almost sour flavor. Not that I'm trying to hate on the Nestle Crunch bar -- lord knows I enjoyed many of those -- not to mention Buncha Crunch -- as a teenage movie-goer.

In sum, puffed rice can benefit all chocolate bars, high and low -- and possibly other situations, chocolatey or otherwise. I award this bar a B+.

4 comments:

  1. I think we should incorporate crik-crak into our everyday vocabulary. Example: "The Oregon Trail is crik-crak," "After sunset, temperatures drop as marine fog sweeps in crik-crak until dawn," "the bar displays dense black currant, lush chocolate and dark cherry fruit flavors followed by a long, crik-crak finish."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll consent to using "crik-crak", but really ONLY in reference to the Oregon Trail, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crik-Crak paddy whack, give a dog a bone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A near relation to crikey (As in: "Crikey, look at that koala!")

    ReplyDelete